Saturday, March 22, 2008

Who pushed me?

There was a King who had only one daughter. She was very beautiful. One day, he decided that it was time for her to get married. He knew that many young men in his country would want to take her as a wife. But he wanted no less than a brave man with nerve of steel as a potential son in-law. So he put up a test. In his palace there was a pond full of hungry alligators. He then summoned all the young men in the country. They came and gathered around the pond. Most of them were strong young men, mostly knights who had just returned from the battlefield. Each one of them was hoping to be the future son in-law of the King and heir to the throne. But none expected what was to happen. Then the King announced: "Anyone of you brave enough to jump into the pond and come out alive will not only get my daughter's hand in marriage but also anything you ask of me. Believe me, I shall give!" The offer was tempting but obviously not enough to make any of them take the suicidal plunge. Everyone was silent and could only look at one another. Inside the pond, the hungry alligators were swimming about on the surface, waiting for meal. As the minutes went by, suddenly there was a splash. Someone had actually jumped in! Just as everyone was aware of what had happened, a skinny young man was struggling out of the pond, fast enough to avoid the approaching alligators. The King was impressed. He summoned the young man to his presence."You're a very brave man," he said. "Now tell me what is your heart's desire and I shall give it to you as a reward." Puffing heavily and looking terrified, the thin young man said, "I just want to know who pushed me!"

What else can be valuable to us when death is imminent?

No comments: